capitalism, capitalist, colloquial, conspiracy, conspirators, economic, health care, healthcare, industrial complex, insurance, language, language class, learn to speak, liberal, liberalese, medical industrial complex, military industrial complex, oppression, oppressive, Politics, prison industrial complex, private healthcare, progressive liberal, progressive liberalese, real estate industrial complex, speak, suffix, vocabulary
For those of you attempting to learn to speak Progressive Liberalese, this lesson should provide some further insight into the P-L language and build your vocabulary.
This lesson is on the suffix: -industrial complex.
Similar to the English prefix anti-, non-, and un-, the suffix -industrial complex gives a negative connotation to the word it is attached to. P-L language adds this suffix to any sector of the economy which it wishes to criticize. By attaching -industrial complex to any societal structure, one causes the listener to wonder if the structure is actually a gigantic system controlled by a mysterious group of inaccessible conspirators for their own oppressive gain. While formal usage of the suffix is relegated to social and economic discussion, colloquial usage of this suffix can be expanded to non-economic terms.
Common usages of this suffix include:
- Military-industrial complex
- Prison-industrial complex
- Medical-industrial complex
- Real Estate-industrial complex
Colloquial examples in use:
- If you fear or dread going to the dentist, you might say: I hate going to the dental-industrial complex.
- If you are more of a dog person than a cat person, you might say: I prefer dogs to the feline-industrial complex.
- If your friend, Greg, is extremely annoying at parties, you might say: Don’t invite the Greg-industrial complex. He’s so lame!
Try using the suffix in the following examples by filling in the blank.
- Everyone should unilaterally the expansion of the medical insurance ____________.
- Increasing the number of troops in Afghanistan would only strengthen the military ____________.
- We need alternative forms of justice to our defunct prison ____________.
Now create your own sentences using the following words.
- Capitalist-industrial complex
- Private health care-industrial complex
- Penguin-industrial complex